guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oily one morning.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oily one morning.
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:30
Greetings after a long absence, from my new home in southern Spain.
It's been a busy few years, with not much motorcycling, but I now have the 2014 V7 on Spanish plates and I'm spending more time on it.

I noticed a shiny trace by the breather on top of the rear hub a few days ago. Yesterday I decided to put the rear (Racer type) shocks onto the hardest settings and wound the springs down to half way. I've had the rear step out a few times, at reasonably modest speeds, and hope to cure that. It may be that Spanish tarmac does not use granite and is therefore smoother?

I took a very bendy road up to a high village and back down, and returning home I saw that the rear tyre was streaked with oil, and there was oil on the rear hub, from the breather.
There is no sign of oil at the gearbox end of the swing-arm, and the transmission had the correct amount of oil.
It was a hot day, and the first and last mile or so is on a very 'vibratory' concrete road.

I started the engine this morning and there was no sign of anything coming out of the breather.
I've washed it down and will drain and replace all fluids (long overdue).
The bike has done just under 4,000 miles with no other issues.
Any comments on the likely causes, or advice how to proceed would be very welcome, thank you.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:47
Little "top hat" type breather?
They can block and cause some pressure due to heating to the oil in the bevel drive. One solution, when you have changed the oil, is to get it warm, undo the breather to let any pressure out then close it up again.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:13
Thanks Brian, that's good to know.
Update : I've just checked the oil in the hub and it is emulsified. The bike stands outside in the weather, and we do get a bit of rain occasionally, so I'm wondering if water entered the top hat.

I'll drain the gunge and have a look at the top hat. I didn't know it could be open and shut.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 13:43
I've now got the back wheel off the ground, drained the hub, and twice filled it with cleaning alcohol and flushed, while spinning the wheel.
Time for lunch, with non-cleaning alcohol.
Next plan is hot oil and start the engine, give it a good spin and drain again.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 17:12
After filling with multigrade half a dozen times and running the engine in first gear, the oil draining out is the same colour as that going in. 
I'll fill with the specified oil and do a few more changes while hot after rides.

I avoid pressure washers, so I'm still trying to work out how the rain got in the top hat -- assuming it did.
I hate assuming...
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 23:07
It could be that moisture is drawn in through the breather when it cools down.
Brian.

V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 06:49
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

It could be that moisture is drawn in through the breather when it cools down.
But wouldn't that have affected other examples and be a known outcome? I don't recall hearing of this as a common issue. Unless you think it is the higher ambient temperatures perhaps.
BTW, I can't see pressure washers used sensibly being responsible for these issues anyway because I use mine regularly and haven't suffered any issues over 30 years of using them on bikes, cars, the kids (😉) etc
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 07:43
I've certainly heard of other cases of emulsified oil in the bevel drive on various models. That must mean that somehow some moisture must have got in. It doesn't take much.

I can't think of any other way that moisture could get in, but it will depend on local circumstances.

Pressure washers have been known to remove grease from wheel bearings, but I don't see how they could affect the bevel drive unless the washer was aimed at the vent for some time.
Brian.

Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 08:03
Well I'm completely stumped -- the bike stands out on a windy patio, and has been rained on in two wet spells since Christmas, but I can't see water getting in via the top hat -- however, if water was getting in anywhere else, surely oil would be leaking out from the same place?
I don't know how much water it takes to make oil the colour of milky coffee, and being unfamiliar with the situation inside the hub, I need to find a drawing to see if the water has reached any bearings, and if so whether I could and should replace them myself, or get a proper mechanic in.

To think I came back down the mountain with all those unfenced hairpin bends, with my back tyre covered in oil, gives me the shivers. 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 08:07
If you got that much oil on the back tyre and it's definitely coming from the hub area, then you have a leaking oil seal.

The parts list will show you some of the detail.
Brian.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 08:08
The oil in my hub was emulsified and the valve filled with clag. I'm told that the "top hat" vent is supposed to be a rattle type valve but even after cleaning it wasn't a loose fit and neither was a new one I checked. Perhaps the answer is to just take it of occasionally and give the inside a clean out?
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 09:30
Thanks for the link Brian, from the drawing it seems that the bearing is next to the bevel drive, so it looks like there will be watery sludge in the bearing.

I reckon new oil and a careful test run is on the cards.

By the way, if you want to see the 'somewhat exposed' nature of the patio, the estate agent's video is on Youtube  Ref877
I have seen a plastic chair fly past the window on a windy day.

Good to know I'm not the only one with emulsion problems Bob, wonder how many miles ago that was?
Perhaps a plastic cap over the top hat is called for?

When drying my hands earlier, a large and very poisonous centipede fell out of the towel and scuttled down a hole behind the sink. Time to mix some cement ...
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 09:40
Originally posted by Ben. Ben. wrote:

When drying my hands earlier, a large and very poisonous centipede fell out of the towel and scuttled down a hole behind the sink. Time to mix some cement ...

The joys of living in exotic places. LOL

Ref877 brings up several property videos around Spain.

Edited by Brian UK - 10 May 2019 at 09:44
Brian.

Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 13:18
Sorry Brian, it works for me, the full title is Ref877 Cortijo/Country House For Sale in Lanjaron.
Shot from a drone, you'll see why it gets called Slipten Fell !
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 13:30
WOW !! I looked at the video.What a cracking location. Jealous, me???
You bet!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic